Getting Your Visa on Arrival to Nepal – Customs and Luggage Claim Procedures
Visa on Arrival
Most visitors to Nepal get a visa on arrival. It is easy to do. Here are the Visa on arrival steps:
- Disembark from plane and follow signs to Customs Hall
- Go to electronic kiosk and fill in information (you will need passport number, flight, etc.)
- The kiosk will take a photo of you, and print out form
- Take the form to the cashier
- Pay in cash USD, Euro, AUD, etc. (15/30/90 days costs US$25/40/100 – single entry)
- Take form and receipt to immigration officer
- Officer will put visa in your passport
- Proceed downstairs (escalator) to luggage area
Customs and Luggage Claim
The luggage claim area is very crowded and hectic in Kathmandu’s Tribuvhan International Airport. There are only 4 luggage carousels, and they are not well-marked. Here are the steps for collecting your luggage:
- Go through the security scan before entering luggage area
- Get a cart for your luggage. They are usually in the corner to your far left if you are facing the carousels.
- Find your carousel. You may have to ask, or just look for others from your flight.
- Be prepared to wait. It generally takes a good amount of time for the luggage to get from the plane to the carousel.
- An airport porter may ask if you want help; this is optional, but if he does help you, be prepared to tip him. $5 is a very generous tip in Nepal.
- Collect your luggage and put on cart.
- Have your luggage receipts ready, and go to customs line – choose green (unless you are declaring something).
- The customs officer will glance at your tags (or sometimes not), and wave you through.
- Proceed toward the glass wall at the end of the hallway
If you are on one of our adventures that includes guest pick-up at the airport (most do), then look for your guide outside the door of the airport. He will likely be across the street near the taxi stand. Here are your options for transportation to a hotel:
- Find your guide near door, or across street holding a sign
- Pre-pay taxi, and take taxi to hotel (only if you have no guide pick-up with us)
TREKT Adventures and Hardcore Nepal usually use Hotel Buddha in Thamel for our guests’ accommodation.
TREKT Adventures – (977) 980 301 0011
Hotel Buddha – (977) 1-4700366
Note: There are ATM machines outside the airport door, after you exit. You can get Nepalese Rupees there. Or, if you take a taxi, ask your driver to stop at a money exchange.
If you have trouble communicating with your driver, or anyone while you are on our tours, please ask them to phone someone in our Kathmandu office at 980 301 00